$8.11
I bought two guppies. $8.11 after tax.
A male Tequila Sunrise guppy and a female from the Fancy Guppy Female tank that had the same color type of tail... I am fairly certain that she is a Tequila Sunrise guppy or something similar as her colors are very similar.
The choice was really her or the only other female guppy that they had that had a dark body. (Well the only female in the female guppy tanks... I saw two platinum females in with the males.) I had actually hoped to get more than one female.
I am hoping I can get them to breed... though I have an early suspicion that the one female I have might already be pregnant. That could be problematic.
They are really colorful though and I hope I can bring that out and maybe encourage a line of guppies with a slightly larger tale fin with a little more yellow.
I bought these guys from a big box pet store. And I will make another post about how I came to this decision. As you can guess they were not expensive and I doubt they will ever win me any trophies... but that is not really why I wanted to do this.
I have been looking at breeding some guppies for a long time. Years. But I haven't done it because for some reason I figured I had matured in the hobby and I should be trying to keep other fish... because guppies are "beginner fish"...
I have had fish on and off through out my life ever since I could remember. At the age of 6 I remember helping my parents by feeding a tank full of guppies. I used to watch them and ask a lot of questions. I learned about life and death and babies. I was pretty fascinated by it.
Fast forward today. I have always checked out guppies when I am at a fish or pet store. Always. But I could never bring myself to start a tank of them... for, what I consider now, a dumb reason.
If I like them, why purposely avoid them?
---
A few days ago:
I had a 20 gallon tank running with some random fish in it that I really didn't care to much about. (an otto, two American flag fish, a diamond tetra, and a hillstream loach. they are all getting older.) I had to move the fish out of the room they were in. So I decided to move those fish into a 10 gallon I had set up in my laundry room that was previously a temporary home to our Betta that just got an upgraded tank.
I am in the laundry room daily to feed the cat and I can maintain them well enough from there... which left me with a 20 gallon tank... and I have more space in my laundry room... and I have a few more tanks that are cleaned and stored away... And I once again found myself thinking about guppies.
I am in my 40s now. I am an adult. It's my house. There is no one who judges me based on what fish I keep... besides my wife... which, if we are being honest, has no room to judge me on this one. You will just have to believe me on this.
So I am doing it.
I hope to log my journey here. I hope to be a good guppy keeper and have lots of grandfishes.
I plan to log my successes and failures. Let's hope it is mostly successes.
